As a niche player, the worst mistake you can do is not having a clear customer profile. Otherwise, you can spend lot of time prospecting the wrong people, or worst still, take on not-so-ideal projects or assignments.
This is very easily said than done ... even after years in this game, sometimes I end up spending time with wrong prospects.
Using years of experience, I have identified the following qualities which defines my ideal customer.
1. Will return my calls or emails promptly, usually within 48 hours
2. Passionate about value creation and innovation
3. In decision making positions with access to funding and resources
4. Has a sense of urgency and prepared to take calculated risks
5. Has a customer care mindset
6. Cares about 'value & outcomes' more than 'process & methods'
If you don't have a clear customer profile, then it's worth spending sometime thinking about this. It will save you a lot of heartache and pain in the long run.